Thursday, September 13, 2012

Building an Altar

Growing up in my conservative little town and family, I am quite certain the definition of a "southern woman" did not include a tattoo!!  I remember at about 15 years old,  spotting a girl with tattoo on an opposing swim team at a meet and thinking it was the COOLEST thing ever.  While swimming on a team was a hobby of mine,  I am assuming this young lady's dedication far exceeded my own considering the butterfly tattooed on her shoulder signified her best stroke. I was certainly intrigued and wanted my own butterfly, not so much for the significance but for the sheer rebellion!   Before this swim meet, tattoos only seemed to be for men who either loved their mothers, eagles and the American flags or wrestlers.  I just assumed getting a tattoo was a right of passage or entertainment of those who served in the military.  Little did I know.....

Many years have passed since I stood on the starting blocks with "the girl with the butterfly tattoo" and my interest in tattoos very much alive but finding the time or real reason to get one, never a priority.  I have initiated many a conversation at cocktail parties on the topic, and have several friends with "ink" but I was never brave enough to follow through, until I was 44 years old!

At this time, I made the decision to end the cancerous relationship consuming my life and seek out some much needed peace!  So, with my band of cheerleaders, off we went to get my first tattoo, a peace sign!!! This wasn't just a tattoo...it was an event.  These women struggled along with me during this season of cancer, both literally and figuratively. Celebrating with a tattoo seemed only fitting.  About a year later, I got a second tattoo, again, with an entourage of friends, this time a spiral, meaning karma, what goes around comes around. I have it inked on the inside of my wrist so I am mindful of how I treat others will come back to me. My third tattoo is of a small cross, on the back of my neck.  This tattoo is also full of symbolism and meaning, perhaps the most of all three!!

A few months ago, while having a conversation with my best friend, LaRaela, the subject of tattoos came up.  And she said, "in biblical times, God commanded his people to build an altar after trials and tribulations. This was their way of "marking" the significance in history....and moving forward."  She was RIGHT!!  My tattoos all represent a significant altar built to remind me of how my history affects my present and my future.  I acknowledge my mistakes and have "peace" about  the past. I am mindful that what goes around comes around, knowing that "karma" applies to all situations and relationships in life, not just negative.  Love returns love!!  The cross tattooed in the center of the back of my neck signifies my belief in God, the center of my being, although he cannot be seen, KNOWING he is ever present!

Now I understand why the men serving our country "marked" their history.  I wear my tattoos proudly each one signifying a personal altar marked in history.  Each one celebrating a journey....my own!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment