Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sunday Drive

On Sunday mornings as my mom, sister and I prepared for sunday school and church, my father sat  enjoying his coffee reading the newspaper.  He rarely attended church with us leading me to quietly question his beliefs in God.  During the hours we attended church, he tended our horses.    And it seemed a Sunday tradition, after we all gathered for lunch, my daddy directed us to load up in the car for a drive, a boat ride or horseback riding. My dad worked six days a week and these weekly outings were so necessary as we ALL longed for his attention.

As we traveled the back country roads of my daddy's youth, the pastures and woods where our horses grazed, or the crystal blue springs of the surrounding ponds, we all seemed to follow his direction sitting quietly and observing nature.  Many times we found ourselves off the beaten path watching for the unexpected wildlife listening to an occasional lesson in history, animals or stories about our location.  My father was hard and unyeilding, and my strong will and rebellion kept us at odds most of my adolesence. But while on these adventures, the surroundings dictated our peace and whatever the differences, they seemed to dissolve into the scenery allowing us to just be... teacher and student... father and daughter!  Perhaps, just the lesson God intended!

In recent years, I have come to understand and appreciate my father's escape in nature, his need for peace and calmness in a life full of chaos. It is the beauty and stillness of the water or the calming breeze found on the farm, that I run to when I need clarity and closeness with God.  I believe that while a spiritual relationship with God can be developed, fostered and nurtured in the church,  it cannot truly be appreciated  until you take a SUNDAY DRIVE!!

2 comments:

  1. Maria, I love how you are tuning in to who you really are and what shaped you in this incredible journey ! Keep on writing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to what Suzanne said. Glad to see you getting your thoughts out and down into words. We're all entertained and inspired. Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete